Image default
Security

Retired military officers protest over non-payment of pension adjustments

Retired military officers protest over non-payment of pension adjustments

 

Abuja, Aug. 2026 – There was heavy presence of security men at the headquarters of the Ministry of Defence in Abuja on Wednesday to stop some protesting retired military officers from getting into the premises.

The protesting military officers were protesting over their continued exclusion from pension adjustments whenever there were salary increases for serving officers.

The protesters, who were seen at the Federal Ministry of Finance, Abuja, where they were addressing the authorities, insisted they were not going back on the protest in spite of the heavy security presence at the military headquarters.

Retired Col. Innocent Azubike, one of the retirees, told journalist that they had a right to protest to demand for their constitutional rights.

He said the protest was aimed at demanding the constitutional pension rights of military retirees.

Azubike said that military pensioners are not likely to benefit from the new salary increases recently approved by the president for serving officers as obtained in the previous salary increases.

He alleged that retired military officers were excluded when there was a salary increase in November.

“In November last year, the President approved a new pay increase for the military, and it came with a consequential adjustment for retirees and pensioners.

“It was in the news throughout that November, and the high military authorities repeatedly thanked the President for the gesture

Azubuike said the adjustment had yet to be implemented despite repeated acknowledgements by military authorities of the President’s approval.

“But suddenly, in July and August, it was not implemented and they started changing their stories, as if it should be forgotten.”

Azubike said another salary increase was announced for military personnel in August 2026 to take effect in September.

He alleged pensioners were also being excluded as payments for the new salary had been computed for the implementation.

“They have computed the fund requirement for implementing this second announcement of pay increase.

“In their computation, they excluded pensioners and the consequential adjustment of pensioners’ pensions. That is the main issue we are protesting.”

Related posts

TUC supports private sector equity in refineries, rejects outright sale

Editor

Nigeria no longer safe for drug cartels – Marwa

Editor

NDLEA intercepts illicit drugs worth N10.3bn at Lagos port

Editor

Leave a Comment