Image default
Foreign

Qatar pushes for strait of Hormuz reopening, return to U.S.-Iran MoU

Qatar pushes for strait of Hormuz reopening, return to U.S.-Iran MoU

 

 

 

Doha, Aug. 2026 (Xinhua) Qatari Foreign Ministry spokesperson Majed Al Ansari says ongoing regional efforts are focused on reopening the Strait of Hormuz and returning to the U.S.-Iran memorandum of understanding (MoU).

Speaking at a weekly media briefing on Tuesday, Ansari says the latest escalation includes “the violation of the ceasefire and the tensions at the Strait of Hormuz.”

He says efforts are focused on ensuring a return to the provisions of the MoU.

Ansari says Qatar is still awaiting an agreement between Oman and Iran on the strait, which he says would help pave the way for a return to negotiations.

“The only way to move forward is a ceasefire, the opening of the Strait of Hormuz and going back to normal or freedom of navigation and going back to the negotiations,” he says.

He says Iran and Oman have been holding talks in recent months on navigation arrangements through the Strait of Hormuz.

Earlier on Monday, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said the two countries had agreed on a map for a new maritime traffic route through the waterway.

He said the agreement was expected to be finalised as a package comprising the map and a joint statement.

(Xinhua)

Related posts

Iran accuses UAE of cooperating with “aggressors” against Iran

Editor

Tinubu arrives in Kigali for Africa CEO Forum

Editor

Trump’s signature to replace U.S. treasurer on all new dollar bills

Editor

Leave a Comment